Sweat & (Outside of) the City

The ultimate car driver has RETURNED from the big city to a delightful land where she can tool around in Flanders, the 2004 Civic. That's right, I'm on Long Island.

Saturday, January 28, 2006

50 Things to Know About Me

this idea comes completely and totally from jenny
you can read her 100 point list
over at her blog
Bluemoonmama
which i must say
she does a FABULOUS job updating

ok, so here's my list
this was fun to write
so i'll probably do 51 to 100 later

1. I currently live for free in New York City.
2. Ok, that part about free is sort of inaccurate. My apartment is part of my compensation for being a Residence Hall Director.
3. My living room has a lime green wall.
4. I currently had 5 setlists from my favorite musician, Mike Doughty, hanging in various places around my apartment.
5. I still bite my fingernails.
6. I stopped biting them for awhile, but moving cross country brought on the bad habit again.
7. And speaking of moving across the country, I’ve lived on the West Coast twice, but both times I returned to the East Coast.
8. I never moved as a kid.
9. After college I moved 9 times.
10. I hate packing.
11. I was born with 3 spleens (you’re only supposed to have one).
12. And now I have none—they were all removed when I was a kid.
13. I have some really weird blood disorder that freaks out doctors who aren’t familiar with my history.
14. This blood thing means that, despite the fact that I look like a strapping young woman, you’ll see me take the escalator and elevator anytime they are presented as an option.
15. I had a giant crush on Michael J. Fox as a kid.
16. I saw “Back to the Future” 3 times in the theater when it came out, and I saved my SweetTart box, napkins, straw wrapper to make a shrine to him on my Ziggy bulletin board in my room.
17. I am not a neat person.
18. But I’m not a slob either.
19. This means that I have dirty laundry on my floor and my desk is rarely tidy.
20. I miss driving terribly.
21. My last car was a 1991 Toyota Corolla named Homer Jay. His bumper is the picture on my blog.
22. My favorite bumper sticker was “Keep Your Laws Off My Body!”
23. When I had my car, I would love getting in front of people who had bumper stickers contradictory to mine (eg, “It’s a Child, Not a Choice”) so they could read my messages (like “Keep Abortion Legal!”)
24. I believe in quality, not quantity, of friends.
25. People think that I am a raging extrovert when they meet me.
26. But looks can be deceiving. While I am sometimes outgoing and fairly chatty, I find that being around a lot of people really draining.
27. I’d much rather spend the night at home reading a book that at some bar.
28. My motto is “always carry reading material.”
29. I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up. This causes me considerable angst.
30. I never feel like I’m my age (which is currently 31). I always feel like I’m younger than I am. And when I see people close to my age, I often think, “they aren’t like me.”
31. I can’t have a pet where I live, and frankly, I’m pissed off about it.
32. I had a cat when I lived in San Diego. His name is Emmitt, and he lives with my mom.
33. I’m on career number 2.
34. After undergrad, I spent about 5 years working for pharmaceutical companies.
35. I went to graduate school to study counseling.
36. I realized halfway through my program that I didn’t want the responsibility for “fixing” people (even though that’s not what counseling is meant to be about).
37. I paid for graduate school by working as a Hall Director in the building I lived in as a freshman.
38. My mind often is going a million miles a minute—as you will notice, this list sorta jumps around.
39. I have three tattoos.
40. I like my last one the best (it’s a blue star).
41. I pierced my nose a couple of years ago.
42. I’m convinced that I’m going to be a single person for the rest of my life.
43. I have nothing against marriage, but I just don’t think it’s going to happen to me. I just have this sense that I’m meant to be alone in this world (Lord, that sounds melodramatic!)
44. But here’s the funny thing, I don’t want to be alone! Ok, sometimes, I really like being alone, but I think it would be nice to share life with someone.
45. Even though I say I’m not competitive, I really am, so much so that I get super loud and obnoxious.
46. And speaking of loud and obnoxious, I’m lucky I’ve never had anybody throw a punch at me for mouthing off.
47. I really want to go on that TV show “What Not To Wear” because at a 31-year-old woman, I have NO IDEA how to dress. So, whoever is reading this, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO NOMINATE ME. I have no shame, I’ll subject myself to the cameras for some style advice.
48. I don’t believe your feet should ever be in pain, hence my propensity towards Birkenstocks and flip-flops (the least practical NYC shoes ever).
49. I believe item number 48 is a good enough reason to make item number 47 a reality.
50. I love going to see live music, but since I can't dance, I stand there with my arms folded across my chest, so the bands probably think I am not enjoying myself.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:52 PM, January 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    highlight of my night was FINALLY an update from ms katie musar. number 51 can be "i share a birthday with someone is pretty rad". was thinking about that potential NYC trip over spring break tonight... we'll hope for the best. love and miss you.

     
  • At 6:21 AM, January 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey, ms. musar!
    ya know, you can always be a pro-choice televangelist when you grow up! I know that's random but it'd be quite funny and you may have fun pissing people off...love ya!
    -Sarah
    PS: Thanks for commenting on my livejournal.

     
  • At 4:59 PM, January 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The highlight of my Sunday was seeing 2 new posts from Katie Musar!

     
  • At 2:15 AM, January 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    JESUS CHRIST!!! That will never grow old. Well, I guess I'll be RA #5. This list was a highlight of my day, a day spent in hell (aka the Lander laundry room). So, I will soon be sending in my application to go back to DC for the summer, I am really hoping it works out. Anywhoo, I should go to sleep.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home